We make 1.2 billion lenses worldwide. And of those, we make 10 million in the U.S. and the balance are made in Puerto Rico and in the UK. So, very much, CooperVision is a global business. Two thirds of its revenues is outside the U.S. and essentially, most of the production outside of the U.S. I say that because it’s important that when you look at Cooper, some of the questions we frequently get is why women’s healthcare. And I’ll try to hit that head on right now when I talk about CooperSurgical. CooperSurgical is our women’s healthcare franchise. It represents 15% of our business. But importantly, 85% of that business happens in the United States. So it’s very much U.S.-centric. From a tax perspective, since we have so much activity offshore, we need someone to pay our corporate overhead Al and I up here (ph).
So, what CooperSurgical does is it generates significant profits for us in the U.S., and that’s an integral part of the way Cooper is structured today with an effective -- a pretty low effective tax rate. Since CooperSurgical is a U.S. business, its primary focus is on the OB/GYN, which is more U.S.-centric as a profession goes than if you really go to Europe and various other parts of the world. We have, over the last 20 years, accumulated about 30 acquisitions, put them together that they formed essentially a $200-plus million business with over 600 different products.
Cooper recently came out with its year-end earnings. We’re October 31st company. We announced them in mid-December, revenue of $1.3 billion, up 15%, 11% in constant currency, and importantly, 8% in organic constant currency. A lot of that is a function of the fact that contact lens business is very recession-resistant. So, even when the economy goes solved, we do pretty well.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV