Hundreds of Occupy Wall Street protesters returned to Zuccotti Park, Tuesday night, after police removed the barriers surrounding the park. They've been up since mid-November, when the city removed those living in the park due to safety concerns.
The decision to remove the barriers came after the New York Civil Liberty Union filed a complaint Monday with the New York City Department of Buildings alleging that the barriers violated city zoning laws. But the NYPD said they felt the barriers were no longer necessary.
"It's a beautiful thing," said long-time protester Shane Howellet. "There's been a lot of talk about the zoning violations they have been having, so I am not surprised at all."
Howellet said this is a sign that the protest is starting to become effective in making change. Howellet attributes the low turnout to people going home to rest as police continue to strictly enforce park rules which prohibit sleeping or camping in the park. He anticipates more protesters to trickle in later during the day.The park is privately owned by Brookfield Properties (BPO) , but is zoned as a "bonus plaza," according to the Associated Press, and is required to be open to the public 24 hours a day, barring safety issues.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV