#1: iShares Japan ETF (EWJ)
EWJ follows the MSCI Japan Index which is a proprietary index covering the Japanese equity market. The fund was launched in March 1996. The expense ratio is .54%. AUM (Assets under Management) equal $5.3 billion and average daily trading volume is 16M shares. (In early summer 2011 AUM were $8 billion and average daily trading volume was over 28M shares demonstrating the flight from international markets in general.) As of early January 2012 the annual dividend yield was 3.00% and YTD return -.44%.
A competitive issue would be JPP (SPDR Russell/Nomura Prime Japan ETF) with an expense ratio of .50% and AUM of $14 million and average daily trading volume of less than 4K shares.
Also ProShares features leveraged products for hedging and speculating with similar tracking characteristics to EWJ and others.
Data as of First Quarter 2012 EWJ Top Ten Holdings & Weightings
- Toyota Motor Corp (7203): 4.37%
- Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group, Inc. (8306): 2.63%
- Honda Motor Co Ltd (7267): 2.47%
- Canon, Inc. (CAJFF): 2.41%
- Sumitomo Mitsui Financial Group Inc (SMFNF): 1.77%
- Takeda Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. (4502): 1.55%
- Fanuc Corp (6954): 1.44%
- SOFTBANK Corp (SFTBF): 1.44%
- Mizuho Financial Group Inc (8411): 1.43%
- Mitsubishi Corporation (8058): 1.35%
Data as of First Quarter 2012 ITF Top Ten Holdings & Weightings
- Toyota Motor Corporation (7203): 5.36%
- Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group, Inc. (8306): 3.64%
- Canon, Inc. (CAJFF): 3.25%
- Honda Motor Company (7267): 2.88%
- Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Corporation (9432): 2.45%
- Sumitomo Mitsui Financial Group, Inc. (SMFNF): 2.37%
- Mizuho Financial Group, Inc. (8411): 1.96%
- Takeda Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. (4502): 1.91%
- Fanuc Ltd. (6954): 1.82%
- Mitsubishi (8058): 1.75%
- Samsung Electronics Co Ltd (SSNLF): 19.62%
- Hyundai Motor Co Ltd (HYUO): 5.81%
- POSCO: 4.31%
- Hyundai Mobis: 3.66%
- Shinhan Financial Group Co., Ltd.: 3.09%
- Kia Motors Corp: 2.96%
- Lg Chem Ltd: 2.65%
- KB Financial Group: 2.45%
- Samsung Electnc Pfd: 2.24%
- Hynix Semiconductor Inc: 2.04%
EWT follows the MSCI Taiwan Index which remains a proprietary index following securities in the general Taiwan equity market. The fund was launched in June 2000. The expense ratio is .71%. AUM equal $2.2 billion and average daily trading volume is 9M shares. (In the early summer 2011 AUM was $3.4 billion which shows losses in markets as well as investors outflows.) As of early January 2012 the annual dividend yield was 2.21% and YTD return was 1.02%.
Taiwan markets are considered domestically as a "retail" market making for less institutional activity. One of the primary market drivers is Taiwan Semiconductor.
Data as of First Quarter 2012 EWT Top Ten Holdings & Weightings
- Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing (2330): 17.53%
- Hon Hai Precision Ind. Co., Ltd. (2317): 6.83%
- Chunghwa Telecom Co Ltd (2412): 3.58%
- HTC Corporation (2498): 3.30%
- China Steel Corporation (2002): 3.14%
- Formosa Plastics Corporation (1301): 3.07%
- Mediatek Inc. (2454): 2.70%
- Nan Ya Plastics Corporation (1303): 2.52%
- Formosa Chemicals & Fibre Corporation (1326): 2.14%
- Cathay Financial Holding Co., Ltd. (2882): 1.98%
It's important to remember Singapore is the financial and economic hub for most of Southeast Asia. Its harbor is one of the largest and busiest in the world.
Data as of First Quarter 2012
EWS Top Ten Holdings & Weightings
- Singapore Telecommunications Limited (Z74): 11.74%
- DBS Group Holdings Ltd (D05): 10.29%
- Oversea-Chinese Banking Corp Ltd (O39): 9.51%
- United Overseas Bank Limited (U11): 9.34%
- Keppel Corp Ltd (KPELF): 6.29%
- Wilmar International Ltd (F34): 4.49%
- Genting Singapore PLC (G13): 4.42%
- Jardine Cycle & Carriage Ltd. (C07): 3.12%
- CapitaLand Limited (C31): 3.10%
- Singapore Press Holdings Limited (T39): 2.94%
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV