WINDERMERE, Fla. ( Stockpickr) -- U.S. stocks are under mild selling pressure today, following a sharp spike higher in the previous session as new more negative sentiment continues to flow out of the troubled euro zone.
At last check, the Dow Jones Industrial Average was trading down 37 points, and the S&P 500 was off by 2 points. The tech-heavy Nasdaq was bucking the weakness and treading up slightly by 3.9 points.
One of the major reasons for the selling pressure today is due to the euro, which fell to a 16-month low against the dollar, dropping below $1.27, after ratings agency Fitch urged the ECB to step up buying of euro zone debt to prevent a "cataclysmic" collapse of the euro.
2012 Stock Predictions and Outlook
|Your one-stop shop for 2012 stock recommendations and market predictions.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV