An IPO to Play the Aging Boomers
The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage.
By Tom Taulli, InvestorPlace Writer
NEW YORK (InvestorPlace) -- Back in the 1980s, U.S. companies moved away from defined-benefit pensions to defined-contribution, or 401(k) plans, essentially pushing the responsibility for retirement saving to employees. Of course, the main reason was to help reduce corporate costs.
Interestingly enough, the same trend is happening in the U.S. health care industry: Employers are moving away from group-based plans to individual arrangements.
That's creating opportunity for health care operators. Just take a look at Extend Health, which has the largest exchange for Medicare coverage and is preparing for a public offering. The lead underwriters include Morgan Stanley, Barclays and Wells Fargo. Extend Health's platform focuses primarily on programs like Medicare supplement, Medicare Advantage or Medicare Part D prescription drug coverage. These involve some federal subsidies and offer additional benefits, such as dental.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV