SALT LAKE CITY, Jan. 10, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Overstock.com (NASDAQ: OSTK) today announced that the California court in its prime broker lawsuit granted the defendants' motion for summary judgment.
"Obviously, we are disappointed with the court's ruling, which was not on the merits of the claims, but on a narrow interpretation of California law having to do with whether this conduct took place in California," said Jonathan Johnson, President of Overstock.com. "We believe the court is wrong. We presented more than enough 'in California' evidence to keep this case on a track to trial. So we will appeal. Because the defendants have admitted their conduct took place outside of California, we intend to file suit in another state. We will also continue to try to unseal the pleadings in this case so that the public and press can review the underlying facts – and make their own determination whether Goldman and Merrill manipulated the market in our stock."Patrick Byrne, Chairman and CEO of Overstock.com, stated, "This is a setback, but we have always said we are in this case for the long haul. Until at least twelve Americans have had a chance to issue their own ruling on these facts, we will carry on." At hearing, last Thursday, counsel for Overstock.com reviewed Defendant's extensive "in California" conduct including evidence showing:
- A large percentage of the trades that were part of the manipulative scheme, both equities and options, were effected by all Defendants on the Pacific Coast Stock Exchange, which was located in San Francisco.
- Merrill Lynch Professional Clearing Corporation's San Francisco office played a significant role in the fraud. The head of that office actively worked with Merrill's senior management to create the policies and procedures to further the conduct, communicated five to six times a week with one of the lead traders involved in the manipulative naked short-selling of millions of shares of Overstock.com, financed the manipulative trades, prearranged with the trader a plan to allow the trader to fail (not settle) all its Overstock trades, and also worked with clients to avoid being forced to settle naked short-selling transactions thorough "wash" or "matched" trades.
- Goldman Sachs purchased a type of "conversion trades" that were part of the manipulative scheme which were cleared by Merrill Lynch Professional Clearing Corporation in San Francisco, and which trades were effected on the Pacific Coast Stock Exchange in San Francisco.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV