NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Bank earnings in the fourth quarter could be a tough read for investors, as a number of one-time charges and gains could cloud the scorecard.
Analysts already have significantly lowered their estimates for the fourth quarter, with weak capital markets and trading activity and the
Low expectations are usually a good thing, because the downside is limited from an upset and companies that do manage to positively surprise could see shares move higher.
However, it might not be easy at the very first glance to tell if a bank has managed a clean earnings beat in what is likely to be a very noisy quarter.Analysts routinely differ in the way they adjust for one-time gains and charges when arriving at their final estimates, but most likely will have a long list of special/lumpy items that they will have to exclude in their analysis of fourth-quarter results. Already some banks have warned of the special items that could figure in their earnings reports this quarter. Citigroup (C) has said it will record a
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV