PHILADELPHIA, January 10, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
- Agreement allows development for potential treatment of chronic constipation
Shire plc (LSE: SHP, NASDAQ: SHPGY), the global specialty biopharmaceutical company, announced today that it has acquired the rights to develop and market Resolor ® (prucalopride) in the United States (US) in an agreement with Janssen Pharmaceutica N.V. Terms of the agreement have not been disclosed.
Resolor, a prokinetic, is part of Shire's gastrointestinal (GI) portfolio in Europe and is approved for use in 33 countries for the symptomatic treatment of chronic constipation in women in whom laxatives fail to provide adequate relief. Resolor is currently available in Germany, Ireland, Belgium, France, Greece and the United Kingdom, and will be commercially available in Italy in mid-January 2012. Additional launches throughout Europe are planned for 2012."We are excited about the opportunity to develop Resolor in the US and we look forward to working with the FDA and the GI physician community to define the path forward for registration of the medicine as a treatment for chronic constipation in the US," said Roger Adsett, Senior Vice President of Shire's global GI business. Resolor was developed for the European market by the Belgian-based pharmaceutical company Movetis, which acquired the European rights to Resolor from Janssen Pharmaceutica N.V. Shire acquired Movetis in 2010. Under the terms of the agreement, the US rights to the Resolor trademark will be transferred to Shire. About Resolor (prucalopride) Resolor is a 5-HT4 receptor agonist. 5-HT4 receptors are mainly found in the gut wall and are involved in the stimulation of high-amplitude contractions and coordination of bowel motility.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV