The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage.
By David Gillie for ETF Digest
NEW YORK ( ETF Digest) -- No matter what, people have to eat -- 7 billion of them now globally.
You can't eat your iPhone. You can't eat your gold coins. And you can't eat oil.Feeding the world is big business and agriculture is a high tech industry. Farmers have to maximize crop yields with exact fertilizer blends for individual crops and conditions. Grains, fruits and vegetables have to be hybridized and engineered to grow outside of ideal soil conditions and climates. A John Deere harvesting combine is a complex piece of technological equipment costing as much as a Lamborghini ($250,000). Supplying the needs of farmers to feed the globe is one of the world's fastest growing industries.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV