The SPDR S&P Homebuilders (XHB) ETF has risen more than 30% over the past three months. Even JPMorgan Chase (JPM) CEO Jamie Dimon said "housing is at or near the bottom" during an interview on CNBC Monday afternoon.
Not so fast, says Goldman Sachs analyst Joshua Pollard. While the housing sector may be gaining its footing, the improvements are lagging valuations.
"With homebuilding stocks outperforming the market by 3,500 basis points in the last three months, we would wait for a pullback or a clearer picture that housing is healing quicker than it currently is," Pollard writes.Among homebuilders, Pollard says his team at Goldman prefers PulteGroup because of its turnaround story as well as Toll Brothers (TOL), which he calls best in class. Pollard increased his price target on Pulte to $8, an increase of 23% from his previous target, and he raised his target on Toll by 9% to $24. Pollard also hiked his price targets for several other homebuilders. The price target on KB Home (KBH) went to $7.50 from $6.50. Lennar's (LEN) moved to $18 from $14.50, while MDC Holdings' (MDC) inched up to $20 from $18. Pollard raised his target on Meritage Homes (MTH) to $23 from $18, and increased Ryland Group's (RYL) to $13 from $11, although he maintained a "sell" rating on Ryland. -- Written by Robert Holmes in Boston.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Robert Holmes.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV