The move builds on several services the retailer already offers to low-income and unbanked consumers at its in-store Money Centers, which already include check cashing, bill pay and direct deposit of funds onto a store-branded prepaid debit card.
|Wal-Mart will offer free preparation and filing of 1040EZ returns in many of its locations this tax season.|
1040EZ forms are typically used by taxpayers with very straightforward returns, meaning they have no dependents and do not need to itemize deductions.
The free filings are being provided by H&R Block (HRB) at their 250 in-store kiosks through Feb. 29. They will also be provided at Jackson Hewitt (JHTXQ) kiosks throughout tax season, and Jackson Hewitt will add approximately 800 kiosks to local Wal-Mart stores to bring its total to 2,800 this tax season.>>Broken Heart, Broken Budget "Customers need to make every dollar count in this tough economy, and that's why we're committed to helping customers pay less for their financial services during tax season and throughout the year," Daniel Eckert, vice president of Wal-Mart Financial Services, said in a press release. Consumers also have the option of having their tax refunds (should they get them) loaded onto a prepaid card offered by Wal-Mart. It'll waive fees on the card if a customer loads $1,000 or more onto it. Last year, the average tax return was $3,129. >To submit a news tip, email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV