Zale Corporation (NYSE: ZLC) today announced that comparable store sales increased 5.9% for the combined months of November and December 2011, encompassing the entire holiday selling period. This increase follows an 8.5% rise in the same period last year. Within this two-month period, comparable store sales increased 10.1% in November and 4.2% in December. At constant exchange rates, which exclude the effect of translating Canadian currency denominated sales into U.S. dollars, comparable store sales increased 6.2% for the holiday selling period, compared to an increase of 7.6% in the prior year period.
Revenues for the two-month period were $564 million compared to $533 million in the same period last year, an increase of 5.8%. Revenues include approximately $10 million resulting from the change in warranty revenue recognition.
Holiday selling period comparable store sales detail:
- U.S. Fine Jewelry brands (~69% of annual revenues), consisting of Zales Jewelers, Zales Outlet and Gordon’s Jewelers, had an increase in comparable store sales of 9.0%. This increase follows a 7.5% rise in the same period last year.
- Canadian Fine Jewelry brands (~17% of annual revenues), consisting of Peoples Jewellers and Mappins Jewellers, had an increase in comparable store sales of 0.2%. This increase follows a 15.6% rise in the same period last year. At constant exchange rates, Canadian Fine Jewelry brands comparable store sales increased 1.7%, compared to an increase of 10.2% in the prior year period.
- Kiosk Jewelry (~14% of annual revenues) comparable store sales decreased 2.1%. In the same period last year, Kiosk Jewelry comparable store sales rose 4.2%.
For the quarter ending January 31, 2012, the Company expects gross margin to be consistent with the prior year quarter’s gross margin of 50.3%. Operating margin is expected to be slightly below the prior year quarter’s operating margin of 7.0% due to higher selling, general and administrative expenses primarily driven by the holiday advertising campaign and marketing for the launch of proprietary products.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV