SMSC Reports Third Quarter Of Fiscal Year 2012 Financial Results
SMSC (NASDAQ: SMSC) today announced financial results for its third quarter of fiscal 2012, ended November 30, 2011.
Third Quarter Fiscal Year 2012 Highlights:
- Quarterly revenue of $106.2 million:
- Record revenue of $23.5 million for Automotive Products
- Record revenue of $14.4 for Wireless Audio Products
- Strict operating expense management, resulting in lower than expected non-GAAP operating expenses of $ 42.1 million,
- Strong cash generation from operations of $15.8 million,
- Share repurchases of approximately $15 million,
- Cash and investments of approximately $169 million.
Total revenue for the third quarter of fiscal 2012 was $106.2 million, a decrease of approximately 1 percent when compared to the same prior year period and a decrease of approximately 6 percent sequentially. Third quarter revenue included $11.6 million in sales related to the BridgeCo acquisition. Non-GAAP gross margin was 52.7 percent compared to 55.4 percent for the same prior year period and 54.6 percent in the second quarter of fiscal 2012. GAAP gross margin was 50.1 percent compared to 52.1 percent for the same prior year period and 53.6 percent in the second quarter of fiscal 2012. GAAP and non-GAAP gross margin are lower than expected mainly as a result of a $2.2 million excess inventory reserve for an end of life automotive product. Non-GAAP net income was $4.8 million, or $0.21 per diluted share, compared to non-GAAP net income of $12.0 million, or $0.52 per diluted share in the third quarter of fiscal 2011 and $8.4 million, or $0.36 per diluted share in the second quarter of fiscal 2012. GAAP net loss for the third quarter of fiscal 2012 was $3.3 million, or $0.15 per diluted share, compared to GAAP net loss of $4.6 million, or $0.20 per diluted share for the same prior year period and net income of $11.9 million, or $0.51 per diluted share in the second quarter of fiscal 2012. The lower than expected GAAP and non-GAAP net income and earnings per diluted share are mainly a result of a higher effective tax rate for the third quarter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV