NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The markets closed higher on Monday with the start of a new earnings season.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average was up 32.77, or 0.27%, to 12,329.69. The S&P rose 2.89, or 0.23%, to 1,280.70. And the Nasdaq was up 2.34, or 0.09%, to 2,676, 56.
Melissa Lee, the moderator of CNBC's "Fast Money" TV show, started off the discussion with Juniper Networks (JNPR), which cut guidance for revenue and EPS and indicated that router demand among service providers was softer than expected.
For a breakout of some stocks from a recent "Fast Money" TV show, check out Dan Fitzpatrick's "3 Stocks I Saw on TV."
3 Stocks I Saw on TV
In after-hours trading, Alcoa (AA) reported a loss of $34 million, or 3 cents a share, from continuing operations that was in line with consensus analyst estimates. Tim Seymour liked Alcoa's top line and said he would buy the stock at $8.50. Scott Nations, though, said Alcoa had an ugly chart and would have do a better job on margins, adding he didn't see "anything good here." Mike Murphy said Alcoa was a good way to play the global recovery and he would get into it on a pullback. Lee asked the panel to provide their best picks in this market. Adami liked the rail sector, especially Kansas City Southern (KSU), which he said still has more to run after hitting an all-time high today. Murphy liked Cummins (CMI), which he said had four "great quarters" last year. Finerman liked the oil services space and JPMorgan (JPM), whose tangible book value is well less than 10 times earnings.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV