Previous year private rounds of financing valued Silver Springs at much higher multiples -- as much as $3 billion -- than current sector sentiment would support. With the sector trading at less than 10 times earnings now, it comes down to what investors are willing to pay for the smart grid space.
Sean Hannan, analyst at Needham & Co., said the general IPO market and general market issues don't help, but "caution with smart grid offerings" is part of the Silver Springs IPO issue. He said Silver Springs is trying to position itself as a wireless networking technology story, but at core it's a smart grid solution provider."Investors have seen smart grid decimated and anything tying Silver Springs to the utility space is slower speed. It isn't front end of the tech curve and they want to be associated with true tech thought leaders."
4. There's a takeout premium in all of these stocks not being realized. Last year, Toshiba bought European-based Landis+Gyr and Schneider Electric bought Telvent, both deals struck at roughly 10 times multiples. So where is the takeout premium of at least 10 times for the rest of the stocks in the sector like Itron and Elster? Schuman says there is strategic value in these names given the other global conglomerates among the "usual suspects" bidding for Telvent and Landis. The likes of Siemens, GE (GE) and ABB (ABB) are always rumored to be sniffing around in the smart grid space, and the smart grid pure plays left are trading at lower multiples than what Toshiba and Schneider paid. That's one more reason why these stocks don't need to "shoot the lights" out in terms of new market growth to see an incremental multiple expansion. 5. Better to be an industrial than a pure play in smart grid? The takeout argument brings up one last important point about the
To contact the writer of this article, click here: Eric Rosenbaum. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to Eric Rosenbaum. Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV