Previous year private rounds of financing valued Silver Springs at much higher multiples -- as much as $3 billion -- than current sector sentiment would support. With the sector trading at less than 10 times earnings now, it comes down to what investors are willing to pay for the smart grid space.
Sean Hannan, analyst at Needham & Co., said the general IPO market and general market issues don't help, but "caution with smart grid offerings" is part of the Silver Springs IPO issue. He said Silver Springs is trying to position itself as a wireless networking technology story, but at core it's a smart grid solution provider."Investors have seen smart grid decimated and anything tying Silver Springs to the utility space is slower speed. It isn't front end of the tech curve and they want to be associated with true tech thought leaders."
4. There's a takeout premium in all of these stocks not being realized. Last year, Toshiba bought European-based Landis+Gyr and Schneider Electric bought Telvent, both deals struck at roughly 10 times multiples. So where is the takeout premium of at least 10 times for the rest of the stocks in the sector like Itron and Elster? Schuman says there is strategic value in these names given the other global conglomerates among the "usual suspects" bidding for Telvent and Landis. The likes of Siemens, GE (GE) and ABB (ABB) are always rumored to be sniffing around in the smart grid space, and the smart grid pure plays left are trading at lower multiples than what Toshiba and Schneider paid. That's one more reason why these stocks don't need to "shoot the lights" out in terms of new market growth to see an incremental multiple expansion. 5. Better to be an industrial than a pure play in smart grid? The takeout argument brings up one last important point about the
To contact the writer of this article, click here: Eric Rosenbaum. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to Eric Rosenbaum. Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts