But here's the flip side ...
2. Shoot the lights out with an Echelon and forget about the boring legacy metersEchelon doesn't have the legacy core metering revenue of an Itron or Elster, and it's embarked on an ambitious plan to ride the emerging market trend by selling metering components like chips and subsystems in markets like China and Brazil. China is a market where pricing is beyond competitive -- metering companies like Itron have said you have to price so cheaply you can't make money. In Brazil, it's tough to break into the market without the right partner, though Itron and Elster are already active in Latin America. These factors are behind Echelon's approach to gain traction in these key emerging markets by just taking a piece of the action as opposed to enter as a metering company.
For investors concerned about where growth comes from next year after the last of the stimulus-funded projects in the U.S. ends, the major market to look to is Europe. But given the macroeconomic concerns there, European smart grid deployment could be derailed or in the least delayed. Echelon has chosen a transformative strategy that places it further from the European question but far out on the risk spectrum -- selling chips in China and sub-assemblies in Brazil. If it works, that's a lot of upside to realize, but there are still many unknowns. At what cost will Echelon gain market share? In other words, how will pricing play out in these markets? It's transformation versus the incremental growth play of a "boring" company like Itron or Elster, and the transformation could take a few years. 3. If things are looking up for smart grid, where is the Silver Springs Networks IPO already? The IPO of privately backed smart grid company Silver Springs Networks has been in the hopper for what seems like forever now, and the fact that it's still in the pipeline is a sign that sentiment for smart grid stocks isn't truly optimistic just yet. There are general market reasons for the IPO delay: Capital markets appetite for IPOs and for alternative energy isn't strong right now and Silver Springs, specifically, may want to wait it out until it can get the valuation it believes its business deserves.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV