BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- Stocks are launching the New Year right, rallying 1.6% in the first four trading days of 2012. Now, with the second trading week of January under way, investors are going to be looking for a repeat performance.
With earnings season officially kicking off today at Alcoa's (AA) after-the-bell earnings call, that's a distinct possibility. Earnings season is the block of time each quarter when the majority of publicly traded companies announce their numbers to Wall Street. It's an important catalyst for share prices -- after all, an unexpected improvement in earnings can dramatically change analysts' valuation models for shares.
Of course, as well as the broad market did last week, our list of Rocket Stock names did one better. So far, our Rocket Stocks are up an average of 2.79% on the year. This week, we'll ride the earnings season trend to find five more stocks that could rally.For the uninitiated, "Rocket Stocks" are our list of companies with short-term gain catalysts and longer-term growth potential. To find them, I run a weekly quantitative screen that seeks out stocks with a combination of analyst upgrades and positive earnings surprises to identify rising analyst expectations, a bullish signal for stocks in any market. After all, where analysts' expectations are increasing, institutional cash often follows.
2012 Stock Predictions and Outlook
|Your one-stop shop for 2012 stock recommendations and market predictions.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV