NEW YORK ( MainStreet) -- With Netflix (NFLX) and a host of other streaming options available for home entertainment, more consumers than ever are considering "cutting the cord" on their cable subscription.
A survey from Deloitte shows just how much this trend has begun to take hold among the American public. The company's latest State of the Media Democracy survey asked nearly 2,000 consumers from every age group about their media consumption habits, and included in the survey were several questions pertaining to Internet streaming. Most notably, 9% of surveyed consumers said they had recently canceled their paid cable service in favor of an Internet streaming service, and another 11% were considering cutting cable for the same reason. Young people in particular are leading the way in this trend, with 19% of the 23-28 age group giving serious thought to cutting the cord.
|A survey puts hard numbers on the growing trend of "cord cutting" by watching, for instance, streaming video from Netflix instead of cable TV.|
Sure, that still means that four out of five Americans are happy paying for cable in the foreseeable future, and there's no telling how many of that 11% are actually serious about kicking their cable box to the curb. Still, cable companies have plenty to worry about when it comes to the threat of Internet streaming.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV