Penford Corporation (Nasdaq: PENX), a leader in renewable ingredient systems for industrial and food applications, today reported that consolidated sales for the quarter ended November 30, 2011 increased 25.6% to $90.7 million from $72.3 million a year ago. Gross margin expanded $2.6 million from last year. Consolidated net income rose 76% to $0.6 million, or $0.05 per diluted share, from $0.3 million, or $0.03 per diluted share last year.
A table summarizing quarterly financial results is shown below:
|Penford Corporation – Financial Highlights|
|(In thousands)||Q1 FY 12||Q4 FY 11||Q3 FY11||Q2 FY11||Q1 FY11|
|Sales||$ 25,924||$ 22,554||$ 23,637||$ 17,713||$ 18,336|
|Depreciation and amortization||505||486||510||553||561|
|Sales||$ 64,822||$ 61,085||$ 61,596||$ 56,591||$ 53,930|
|Operating income (loss)||743||(3,023)||(734)||(1,103)||142|
|Depreciation and amortization||2,629||2,691||2,712||2,696||2,713|
|Sales||$ 90,746||$ 83,638||$ 85,233||$ 74,304||$ 72,266|
|Operating income (loss)||4,359||(1,518)||2,506||488||2,969|
|Depreciation and amortization||3,512||3,556||3,598||3,618||3,643|
- Food Ingredients reported record quarterly sales, gross margin and operating income.
- Revenue grew more than 40%; all end market segments expanded at double-digit rates.
- Gross margin increased 29% from volume growth and higher pricing. Product mix changes reflect new business gains in specialty modified products, as well as expansion of value added corn-based applications.
- Operating income rose 24% to $6.0 million on volume and margin increases.
- Revenue increased 20% to $64.8 million reflecting higher corn prices that were passed through to customers, increased pricing from processing and manufacturing fees, higher ethanol volumes, and growth of specialty bio-products.
- Ethanol sales expanded 32% to $32.4 million. Market prices for ethanol rose about 25% from a year ago while comparable industry crush margins improved by approximately $0.10 per gallon, or about 15% from last year.
- Specialty bio-products sales grew over 40% on new business gains, higher volumes at existing accounts and unit pricing.
- Gross margin expanded $0.7 million from a year ago, as higher average unit selling prices for industrial starch and ethanol outpaced rapidly rising corn and chemical costs. Industry net corn costs increased more than 50% from last year.
- Operating results improved $0.6 million from last year’s first quarter and increased sequentially over the fourth quarter of fiscal 2011 by $3.8 million on higher throughput rates, lower unit costs and improved ethanol crush margins.
- Corporate expenses increased by $0.4 million on higher professional fees, employee costs and acquisition related charges.
- Outstanding bank debt on the Company’s $60 million bank facility fell by $6 million from August 31, 2011 to $16.1 million.
- Cash flow from operations improved to $12.2 million from $4.7 million last year.
- The effective tax rate for the first quarter was 70%, which reflects the increased tax expense for the non-deductible preferred stock dividends. The preferred stock dividends are recorded as interest expense in the statements of operations.
- The Company reported last quarter that it had executed a definitive agreement to purchase the stock and certain assets of the business currently operated by Carolina Starches. The Company expects to close the transaction in January.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV