NEW YORK, Jan. 6, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Icahn Enterprises Holdings LP ("Icahn") (a subsidiary of Icahn Enterprises LP (Nasdaq: IEP)) today released the following letter to shareholders of Commercial Metals Company (the "Company"), regarding the Icahn tender offer (as it may be extended from time to time, the "Tender Offer") and proxy fight.
Dear Fellow Commercial Metals Shareholders:
Unfortunately, in today's conference call, the Company's message was clear to us: It's business as usual at Commercial Metals. But, shareholders have a unique opportunity right now to tender into our Tender Offer and send a mandate to the Board to sell this Company NOW!It's The Same Business As Usual At Commercial Metals. Today's Conference Call Was Illustrative To Us That The Problems At Commercial Metals Will Continue. The Company continues to discuss their new strategies and how things are going to get better, if only shareholders give them another chance. We believe it is business as usual at Commercial Metals and that shareholders should consider:
- Interestingly, the Company talks about having new management, but Joe Alvarado, the CEO, has been a part of the executive management team for almost two years – how is that new management? Did you listen to today's conference call? We believe that there is nothing new or changed about management's philosophy.
- The Company wants you to believe that they have a new strategy – but all we see is more of the same, including risky international adventures that have failed to succeed in the past and that we believe will fail in the future. Amazingly, the Company has a continued focus on non-core operations that we believe have been so destructive to earnings in the past and that are distracting and damaging to shareholder value. For example, the Company recently reported a $26.8 million reduction in operating income in their International Marketing and Distribution division primarily due to a charge incurred on long positions held on iron ore purchase contracts during the quarter. Do shareholders believe that speculating on global iron ore prices is truly a risk that a North American mini-mill should be taking? What exactly has changed with this Company? Isn't there a major risk that they will return to the same path of making ill-founded investments that have been so devastating in the past?
- 40.1% of shares tendered (which which when added to the shares already owned by us, represents a majority of Commercial Metals stock) will send a clear message to the Board that it is incumbent upon them to conduct a sales process to sell the Company NOW, and not take the risk that the past will be repeated. Shareholders have a unique opportunity right now to send a mandate to the Board – don't let this moment pass us by.
- The best way to find out if the Company is worth more than $15 per share is to conduct a sales process, and we believe the only way to convince this Board to conduct a sales process is for them to see at least 40.1% of shares tendered.
- If the Company conducts a sales process, our Tender Offer provides a $15 floor and is essentially a free option to you.
- At any time prior to the expiration date of the Tender Offer (including as it may be extended), you have the power and the choice to reject our Tender Offer by withdrawing your shares from the Tender Offer allowing you to take advantage of a higher offer if such an offer emerges.
- If the Board does not conduct a sales process and 40.1% of the shares are tendered into the Tender Offer, we will continue our proxy fight and take the Company to court in Delaware to fight for the ability to close the Tender Offer. Again, at any time prior to the expiration date of the Tender Offer (including as it may be extended), you have the power and the choice to reject our Tender Offer by withdrawing your shares from the Tender Offer.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV