SPDR Gold Shares (GLD)
Given gold's shaky action in December, it is not surprising that investors fled from GLD during the final weeks of 2012. According to the fund flow data compiled by the ETF Industry Association, the physically backed behemoth saw over $2.2 billion in outflows during the course of the month. The iShares Gold Trust (IAU) saw only $17 million head for the exits.
The 2011 flow performance of these two bullion-backed products helps to highlight the influence of the ongoing ETF price wars. Over the course of the year, GLD saw net outflows totaling $372 million. The cheaper IAU, meanwhile, welcomed $2.7 billion into its ranks -- a 66% increase in inflows from 2010.
Over the past few days, both IAU and GLD have enjoyed a welcomed string of strength. It will be interesting to see if they can hang onto these gains as we move ahead.iShares MSCI South Korea Index Fund (EWY) Last Friday, Samsung, the South Korea-based tech giant, reported strong earnings. This news bodes well for EWY, which lists the firm as its largest holding, accounting for a fifth of its assets. Strong smartphone sales were fingered as a major contributor to the company's record quarterly profits. In October, the firm
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV