NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Welcome to Don Dion's "ETF Winners and Losers." Be sure to stop by throughout the week to find out which ETFs are gaining or losing.
United States Natural Gas Fund (UNG) 3%
Natural gas futures prices have yo-yoed over the course of the first week of 2012 trading but they are in solid positive territory at the close of the week.
LosersETFS Physical Palladium Shares (PALL) -3.7% Despite kicking off the New Year on a positive note, palladium has struggled to find footing this week. Thanks to a three-day slide, the bullion-based PALL has retreated below its 50-day moving average, returning to the lows seen before its late 2011 rally. Other physically based precious metal ETFs are seeing more limited moves to the downside. iShares MSCI South Korea Index Fund (EWY) -2.4% EWY's top holding Samsung reported record-breaking quarterly profits this morning. Despite this standout performance, the South Korea ETF is struggling to power higher. Investors interested in this corner of the Asian continent should exercise caution because tensions with the North threaten to ensure continued volatility here. A number of other international ETFs are heading lower at the end of the week. The iShares MSCI Italy Index Fund (EWI), iShares MSCI Turkey Investable Market Index Fund (TUR) and Guggenheim China Small Cap ETF (HAO) are a few of the standout decliners.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV