NEW YORK, Jan. 6, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Randstad has compiled key jobs data to reflect the overall picture of the US employment landscape in 2011. This report captures 2011 highlights as it relates to: job creation, public and private sector jobs, the temporary help services industry and the professional service sectors. In addition, the Randstad Employee Confidence & Employee Attachment Indices have been included to provide a snapshot of US worker sentiments over the year and predictions for next year.
A recent online survey conducted by Harris Interactive on behalf of Randstad from December 12-14, 2011 among 1,222 employed adults ages 18 and older in the U.S., reveals that the Randstad Employee Confidence Index slightly decreased by 0.6 points to 47.4 in December, indicating a slight decline in worker confidence. Overall, employee confidence levels in 2011 have continued to hover around the 50.0 mark -- indicating positive confidence. In fact, 2011 began with a slightly elevated Employee Confidence Index compared to previous years and remained above its historical low point of 40.1 in February 2009. The Index, which measures workers' confidence in both their personal employment situation and sentiment in the economic environment, shows that more workers have remained optimistic about not only their job security, but also their personal employment situations.
On the same note, the 2011 index has somewhat mirrored the movement seen in many economic reports. Many businesses and consumers alike are feeling uncertain in terms of a recovery due to mixed economic signals and because of that, we have seen worker confidence ebb and flow throughout 2011.
Additional highlights include :
- 2011 confidence high-point: May (53.9); 2011 confidence low-point: August (41.0)
- Job transition Index hit highest point ever in January 2011 (40 percent)
- Job Security Index reached lowest point in August 2011 (66 percent)
- Job creation continues to be slow but steady as an uncertain economy continues to recover
- 1.9 million jobs in the private sector were created in 2011
- Since December 2009, retail has continued to add jobs at an average rate of 14,000 jobs per month(1)
- Private sector jobs were up overall in 2011, with steady gains each month
- The private sector has now recovered 33 percent of jobs lost during the period of January 2008 to February 2010(1)
- Employment in the private sector has increased steadily each month, adding 1.9 million jobs during 2011(1)
- Government agencies announced more than 280,000 job cuts in 2011
- Many public job cuts can be attributed to jobs lost in the U.S. Postal Service, and state and local governments(1)
- Employment in both state government and local government has been trending down since the second half of 2008(1)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV