$13 billion industrial supplier Fastenal (FAST) had a phenomenal year in 2011; shares of the company rallied more than 50% in the trailing 12 months. That has made things tough for short-sellers, who've been active in this stock for several years now, pushing Fastenal's short ratio to 10.1.
Fastenal's size is its biggest advantage. The firm sells maintenance products and fasteners to industrial customers, boasting nearly 1 million products in its catalog and 2,500 locations worldwide. That scale gives the firm the ability to meet larger customers' needs and the ability to provide smaller customers with better costs than rivals. As one of the biggest players in a highly fragmented industry, Fastenal has significant room for growth right now in the U.S. market.From a balance sheet perspective, Fastenal is in excellent shape. The company carries nearly $140 million in cash and no debt whatsoever. That combination should provide ample liquidity for Fastenal's operations and help to smooth out potentially bumpy operations in 2012. Earnings on Jan. 18 are a potential short-squeeze catalyst to watch. Fastenal, one of TheStreet Ratings' top-rated industrial distributor stocks, shows up on a recent list of 20 Winning Stocks Set to Post New Highs in 2012.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV