Large-cap office REIT Boston Properties (BXP) holds the keys to nearly 40 million square feet of rentable office space spread throughout some of the country's strongest metropolitan areas. The high-demand nature of BXP's portfolio greatly offsets some of the risks that the commercial real estate market is still throwing at investors, but even so, the firm's short interest ratio weighs in at 12.1.
By and large, though, REITs' exposure to real estate is indirect at best. Because these trusts lease commercial space through long-term, triple-net contracts, they're essentially immune to the constant ebb and flow of the real estate market. Instead, it makes more sense to think of REITs as income-generation vehicles since they're required to pay out the vast majority of their income to shareholders.Boston Properties currently sports a 2.2% dividend yield, not high by REIT standards, but easily maintained given the firm's current cash flows and pipeline of office buildings in development. Solid earnings on Feb. 1 could spur significant buying pressure for this stock. I also featured Boston Properties recently in " 7 Dividend Stocks Putting Cash in Investors' Stockings."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV