The company noted, however, that sales of components for 3G/4G smartphones rose 16% sequentially in the December quarter, and said it expects "normal seasonality" in the March-ending quarter. It plans to report its full third-quarter results on Jan. 24, and provide further guidance at that time.
The news weighed on other chip makers, such as TriQuint Semiconductor (TQNT), which lost nearly 4% to $4.76 on volume of more than 85,000; and SkyWorks Solutions (SWKS), which fell 3% to $16.60 with in excess of 55,000 shares changing hands.
Other stocks making news after the closing bell included Integra LifeSciences (IART), which forecast weaker than expected fourth-quarter results and said it's received a warning letter from the Food and Drug Administration related to quality systems and compliance issues at a collagen manufacturing facility in Plainsboro, NJ; ViroPharma (VPHM), which said it sees sales ranging from $600 million to $660 million in 2012 vs. current consensus estimate of $593.2 million; and Ruby Tuesday (RT), which gave a below-consensus outlook for its fiscal third quarter ending in February, saying it sees earnings of 12 to 16 cents a share vs. the average analysts' view of 27 cents a share because of increased advertising expenses.
--Written by Michael Baron in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Michael Baron.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV