Updated with market close information and a White House denial of rumors that President Obama might announce a massive new mortgage refinancing program.
Most bank stocks showed strength, amid rumors that President Obama might soon announce a $1 trillion federal program to spur mortgage loan refinancing and prop up the U.S. housing market, along with his reelection campaign.
After the market close, Bloomberg quoted an administration official as saying the White House had "no plans for a new mass mortgage refinancing program," which promptly sent Bank of America's shares down 1.5% in after-market trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV