Martin Marietta Materials, Inc. (NYSE: MLM) today issued the following statement in response to the new shareholder presentation released by Vulcan Materials Company (NYSE: VMC).
“Vulcan’s shareholder presentation suffers from numerous inaccuracies and mischaracterizations, which we will address promptly. Most importantly, the basic theme – the past is prologue to the future – is fundamentally flawed.
“Pointing to past cyclical recoveries in this industry, Vulcan’s presentation touts its performance on historical recoveries but in footnotes Vulcan admits that ‘historical performance is not a guarantee or assurance of future performance nor that previous results will be attained or surpassed.’
“This last statement recognizes the reality that today’s Vulcan is not the same company that came through the past cyclical recoveries. Specifically, Vulcan today – and on a standalone basis going forward – is burdened with:
- A highly levered balance sheet;
- Cash constraints—which required the virtual elimination of its dividend;
- A "junk" credit rating;
- A steadily falling unaffected stock price—reflecting Vulcan’s risk profile and lack of profitability;
- A "too little, too late" cost reduction program—which itself is fundamentally misconceived;
- And most significantly, no clear prospect, as to either timing or level, of the life-line it is looking to for rescue of its standalone future value (inadvisably in light of the circumstances)—a strong and sustained economic recovery.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV