Martin Marietta Materials, Inc. (NYSE: MLM) today issued the following statement in response to the new shareholder presentation released by Vulcan Materials Company (NYSE: VMC).
“Vulcan’s shareholder presentation suffers from numerous inaccuracies and mischaracterizations, which we will address promptly. Most importantly, the basic theme – the past is prologue to the future – is fundamentally flawed.
“Pointing to past cyclical recoveries in this industry, Vulcan’s presentation touts its performance on historical recoveries but in footnotes Vulcan admits that ‘historical performance is not a guarantee or assurance of future performance nor that previous results will be attained or surpassed.’
“This last statement recognizes the reality that today’s Vulcan is not the same company that came through the past cyclical recoveries. Specifically, Vulcan today – and on a standalone basis going forward – is burdened with:
- A highly levered balance sheet;
- Cash constraints—which required the virtual elimination of its dividend;
- A "junk" credit rating;
- A steadily falling unaffected stock price—reflecting Vulcan’s risk profile and lack of profitability;
- A "too little, too late" cost reduction program—which itself is fundamentally misconceived;
- And most significantly, no clear prospect, as to either timing or level, of the life-line it is looking to for rescue of its standalone future value (inadvisably in light of the circumstances)—a strong and sustained economic recovery.