NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The goal of a value investor is to identify stocks trading below their calculated intrinsic fair value and purchasing them with an adequate margin of safety. Astute investors can examine these five stocks and use the information as a basis for due diligence. These stocks have their P/E ratios in the range of 5 to 12 apart from Calgon which is flirting with its yearly lows.
A consensus forecast of analysts polled by Bloomberg sees upside opportunity of 31% to 58% for these five stocks, with buy and hold guidance of 75% and 20% on average, respectively.
The five selected stocks are listed in ascending order of upside potential.
5. Agilent Technologies (A) is a premier measurement company and technology leader in chemical analysis, life sciences, electronics and communications serving customers in more than 100 countries.
For fiscal 2011, Agilent reported net revenue of $6.6 billion, up 22% compared to the prior fiscal. Net income rose 47.9% to $1,012 million, while total orders amounted to $6,769 million, an increase of 18% from the earlier year.The company estimates revenue of $1.65 billion to $1.67 billion for the 2012 first quarter with non-GAAP earnings of 67 cents to 69 cents per share (EPS). For fiscal 2012, revenue guidance is between $6.85 billion to $7.15 billion and earnings per share (EPS) in the range of $3 to $3.35. Last month, Agilent completed the acquisition of BioSystem Development -- a privately held company engaged in the development and manufacture of the AssayMAP Microchromatography platform -- and signed a definitive acquisition agreement with Accelicon Technologies. Of the 17 analysts covering the stock, 94% recommend a buy and rest suggest a hold. The stock's average 12-month price target is $47.6, or 31.5% above the current price, according to a Bloomberg consensus. Agilent is currently trading at a P/E ratio of 11.8.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV