5 Signs You're Stuck in a Dead-End Job
NEW YORK (MainStreet) -- Chances are, many workers who returned to work this week after the holidays had a similar thought in mind: Is there anything left to accomplish here? It's a perennial concern that comes with the new year and can hit even those who truly enjoy their jobs.
"At the beginning and end of the year, I think people get that feeling of 'Am I signing up for this again?" says Carolyn Hughes, vice president of people at the job search Web site SimplyHired.com. "This is especially true when you've been in a job for a long time. There's a kind of annualized mode of thinking where you get into a work flow and have to renew your interest in it each year."
|Here's how to tell if you've gone as far as you can at your current job.|
Of course, a dead-end job isn't necessarily a bad thing -- as Hughes points out, some people are just looking for a comfortable position with a steady paycheck and the opportunity to build up experience. But if you're looking to advance in your career, few things are as frustrating.
Unfortunately, ever since the recession hit, many workers have been so concerned about simply staying employed that the idea of leaving a job -- even one that's clearly a dead-end position -- has been largely out of the question. More recently though, surveys have shown that a greater number of Americans are considering leaving their jobs on the assumption the labor market is improving.Switching jobs is certainly not for the faint of heart in this economy, but if you answer yes to more than a couple of the following questions, it may be time to start looking elsewhere.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV