HAVERTY FURNITURE COMPANIES, INC. (NYSE: HVT and HVT.A) today reported sales for the period ended December 31, 2011.
Havertys' sales for the fourth quarter 2011 increased 3.8% to $168.3 million, versus $162.1 million for the fourth quarter of 2010. On a comparable store basis, sales for the quarter increased 3.5%. Comparable store sales do not include locations opened, closed or otherwise non-comparable during the last 12 months. Sales for the twelve months of 2011 totaled $620.9 million versus $620.3 million for 2010, representing an increase of 0.1%. On a comparable store basis, sales increased 0.3% for the twelve months.
Total written sales for the fourth quarter of 2011 increased 1.5% over the same quarter last year.
| Sales in Millions
Total Sales % Change
Comparable Store Sales % Change
Clarence H. Smith, president and chief executive officer, said, “We are pleased to announce positive sales results for the full year due to the strength of our fourth quarter performance. Deliveries to customers during the quarter were benefited by improved stocking levels and more timely vendor response to new orders. Total written business for the quarter was up 1.5% with a slightly higher average ticket throughout the period and improved customer traffic during December. Preliminary indications are that fourth quarter gross margins will be better than last year and the most recent quarters, consistent with the forward looking comments in our third quarter earnings release. Total written business for the recent four day New Year's holiday weekend sale was also up modestly compared to the same year ago period.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV