During the fiscal second quarter of 2012, Seagate said it expects preliminary revenues to be between $3.1 billion and $3.2 billion, as it shipped approximately 47 million disk drives.
|Seagate gave strong preliminary results after market close on Wednesday.|
Wall Street analysts polled by Thomson Reuters expect revenue of $2.81 billion and 70 cents per share in earnings. Seagate said it expects gross margins of at least 30.5%, well above the 28.1% Wall Street analysts expect. The company ended the second quarter with more than $2.1 billion in cash and cash equivalents.
Seagate also gave third-quarter revenue guidance above analysts' estimates. Seagate said it expects third-quarter revenues between $4.2 billion and $4.5 billion, with gross margins of at least 33%. The average analyst estimate from Thomson Reuters is $3.77 billion and a gross margin of 29.4%."The better than expected results for the December quarter are attributed to the company's outstanding operational performance and overall strong execution," said Steve Luczo, Seagate CEO and chairman, in a press release. Luczo said that, despite significant supply chain disruptions, the company was able to deliver strong quarterly results. The industry is currently experiencing a shortage of hard drives caused by the flooding in Thailand. Shares are sharply higher in after-hours trading, up 6.4% to $17.89 on over 100,000 shares, according to NASDAQ.com. -- Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/commodity_bull. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV