Bankrate (RATE) is another example of a tech sector name with a financial twist. This online financial publisher aggregates and distributes personal finance content on its eponymous website, helping consumers with everything from finding the best mortgage to saving for college. That positioning provides the firm with ample opportunities to sell advertising slots to financial services companies that are looking for targeted leads.
The firm IPO'd back in June after going private on the tail end of the financial crisis. Since then, the company has dramatically improved its operations and strengthened the popularity of its website. Financially, Bankrate looks strong, with a reasonable debt position and ample balance sheet cash. As long as lending and insurance continue to be confusing for consumers, this site should continue to profit by driving traffic and advertisers together.Last quarter, institutions bought 23.1 million shares of Bankrate, bringing their total stake in this technology stock to $438 million. Bankrate shows up on a list of 4 Tech Stocks for 2012, and I also recently highlighted the stock in "7 Relative Strength Stocks for 2012." To see these stocks in action, check out the Institutional Tech Sector Buys portfolio on Stockpickr. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV