In a statement released before market open on Monday, Yahoo! said that Thompson will assume his new role on Jan. 9, at which time acting CEO Tim Morse will resume his previous role as CFO.
"Scott brings to Yahoo! a proven record of building on a solid foundation of existing assets and resources to reignite innovation and drive growth, precisely the formula we need at Yahoo!," explained Roy Bostock , chairman of the Yahoo! board, in the statement. "His deep understanding of online businesses combined with his team building and operational capabilities will restore the energy, focus, and momentum necessary to grow the core business and deliver increased value for our shareholders."
Thompson has an impressive track record at PayPal, which now accounts for around 50% of eBay's (EBAY) overall revenue. PayPal, which posted its first billion-dollar quarter last year, is expected to contribute $7 billion to eBay's revenue by 2013.Shares of Yahoo! dipped 11 cents, or 0.71%, to $16.17 before market open while eBay's stock was down $1.23, or 3.64%, to $30.11. -- Written by James Rogers in New York >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/jamesjrogers. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV