Updated with confirmation from Yahoo! that Scott Thompson has been named CEO.
Thompson's name surfaced unexpectedly this week in a report by the AllThingsD Web site, which cited unnamed sources.
Thompson's appointment makes good sense at a tough time for the Internet giant, which confirmed the appointment shortly before the stock market open.Thompson has an impressive track record at PayPal, which now accounts for around 50% of eBay's (EBAY) overall revenue. PayPal, which posted its first billion-dollar quarter last year, is expected to contribute $7 billion to eBay's revenue by 2013. The relatively low profile that Thompson has kept will also work in his favor, particularly when compared to his flamboyant yet often polarizing predecessor, Carol Bartz, who was ousted last year.
|PayPal President Scott Thompson has been appointed CEO of Yahoo!|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV