By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
OptionMonster's real-time systems detected a surge of call buying in the oil-service stock Tuesday, with about 2,300 February 22.50s purchased for 55 cents to 65 cents. Volume was 10 times open interest in the strike.
These long calls lock in an entry price investors must pay for the stock and therefore can provide major leverage against the underlying shares. In fact, that's exactly what happened Tuesday.RPC was trading for about $19.46, up almost 7%, when the calls changed hands. It continued higher throughout the session and closed 12% higher at $20.51. The calls, however, translated that same move into a gain of 60% to 90% gain, fetching $1.05 in the afternoon. Overall option volume was 14 times greater than average Tuesday, with calls outnumbering puts by a bullish 27-to-1 ratio. Russell has no positions in RES.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV