Gingrich Pulls 'Liar' Card on Romney Hours Before Caucuses
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- In the twilight hours of the Iowa caucuses, Newt Gingrich called national GOP front-runner Mitt Romney a liar.
Gingrich's frank statement came when an interviewer on CBS noted that the former House speaker dropped from the lead in Iowa polls after opponents, including a super PAC that supported Romney, spent millions of dollars to attack Gingrich's record.
|Romney and Gingrich|
"This is a man [Romney] whose staff created the PAC, his millionaire friends fund the PAC, he pretends he has nothing to do with the PAC -- it's baloney," Gingrich said, referring to the Romney-supporting super PAC. "He's not telling the American people the truth."Gingrich went on to call Romney a "Massachusetts moderate" and said that his health care plan in the state used taxpayer money for abortion and planned parenthood. Gingrich has polled solidly in fourth behind Romney, Ron Paul and Rick Santorum in the latest Iowa polls released ahead of Tuesday's caucuses. The remarks could come as Gingrich's final public attack at Romney in the state as the former House speaker has suffered greatly from negative ads but has refused to unleash negative campaigning of his own. -- Written by Joe Deaux in New York. >Contact by Email. >Follow Joe Deaux on Twitter. Subscribe on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV