8. Dime Community Bancshares
Dime Community Bancshares (DCOM) of Brooklyn, N.Y., closed at $12.60 Friday, declining 10% during 2011. Based on a quarterly payout of 14 cents, the shares have a dividend yield 4.44%.
The company's third-quarter efficiency ratio was 41.16, according to SNL Financial.Dime was included among TheStreet's 10 New York Bank Stocks With Most Upside for 2012, based on analysts' price targets. Another feather in the company's cap is that its generous dividend payout is very well supported by earnings, as the payout ratio has been below 50% over the past year. Third-quarter earnings were $11.2 million, or 33 cents a share, declining from $11.4 million, or 34 cents, a year earlier. The third-quarter ROA was 1.10%, according to SNL. Sterne Agee analyst Matthew Kelley has a neutral rating on the shares and estimates that Dime will earn $1.32 a share in 2012, with a slight earnings decline, as "the net interest margin [will] remain under pressure due to asset yield compression continuing at a rate higher than funding cost reductions." Dime Community's third-quarter net interest margin -- essentially the difference between a bank's average yield on loans and investments and its average cost for deposits and borrowings -- declined to 3.58% from 3.66% in the second quarter and 3.60% in the third quarter of 2010. The shares trade for 9.5 times the consensus 2012 EPS estimate of $1.33, among analysts polled by FactSet, and for 1.5 times their Sept. 30 tangible book value of $8.54, according to SNL Financial. Out of nine analysts covering Dime Community Bancshares, four rate the stock a buy, while the remaining analysts all have neutral ratings. Interested in more on Dime Community Bancshares? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV