NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Although it is notably newer to the ETF game compared to other fund leaders like Blackrock (BLK) and State Street (SST), Vanguard has enjoyed a dramatic ascension that has propelled it to No. 3 in total assets.
According to the November fund flow data compiled by the National Stock Exchange, the Pennsylvania-based investment company boasts a combined nearly $175 billion in assets.
As many have pointed out and discussed in the past, Vanguard's success in the ETF industry has largely rested on its ability to offer attractive ETF products at a steeply discounted cost. For example, although both the Vanguard Emerging Market ETF (VWO) and iShares MSCI Emerging Market Index Fund (EEM) are designed to mimic the performance of the same index, the former has taken the crown thanks to its dramatically reduced expense ratio.
More recently, the spotlight has shifted to the ongoing showdown between the
iShares Barclays Aggregate Bond Index Fund
(AGG) and the
Vanguard Total Bond ETF
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV