6 New Year's Resolutions Obama Should Make
The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- President Obama certainly has his hands full these days, between the lagging economy, political infighting in Washington and a slew of problems abroad. While his staff is undoubtedly both efficient and supportive, they may well have been too busy to help Obama develop his list of New Year's resolutions.
In the spirit of the season, here's a list of six resolutions that the president really should make:
Develop a national budget. It's been years since Congress has passed a budget reflecting the nation's anticipated annual expenditures. The federal government currently runs on a series of laddered expense authorization bills, which creates the potential for an embarrassing public crisis every time Congress locks horns on a crucial spending measure. Recent presidential budget proposals have been met with gleeful cries of "DOA!" ("dead on arrival" for those who don't live around the Beltway), but that doesn't mean President Obama shouldn't make the effort.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV