Discover Financial Services
Sometimes, playing the number-four role isn't a bad gig. Just ask Discover Financial Services (DFS), the fourth-largest payment card network in the country -- and the second-largest closed-loop network after American Express (AXP). Unlike higher-profile peers, Discover issues its own Discover and Diner's Club cards to consumers (as well as licensing its network to other issuers). While that business adds credit risk to DFS' balance sheet, it also adds to the firm's margins.Discover's closed-loop status provides the firm with considerable cost control over its network. As a result, Discover enjoys a special relationship with Wal-Mart (WMT), whose Sam's Club stores issue their own Discover-branded cards. Because the firm is still relatively small from a valuation standpoint, it could make an attractive acquisition target for a larger financial institution that's looking to gain advantages in the payment network space. While that's speculative at best, a high replacement value for DFS' brand makes it more attractive from a shareholder standpoint. This month, Discover hiked its dividend to 10 cents per quarter, a 67% increase. That move ratchets the firm's yield to 1.66%. To see these dividend plays in action, check out the Dividend Stocks for the Week portfolio on Stockpickr. And if you haven't already done so, join Stockpickr today to create your own dividend portfolio. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV