SEI Investments Company
On the other side of the spectrum is SEI Investments Company (SEIC), a mid-cap asset manager and back-office outsourcer that helps traditional portfolio managers cut the costs of managing clients' assets. SEIC hasn't been immune to the selling in the financial sector this year; shares are down more than 27% since the start of 2011.Because SEIC provides middle- and back-office fund management functions (like accounting, record keeping, and compliance), the firm's clients tend to be stickier mid-sized asset managers and financial advisors who just are capable of handling those logistics themselves. Regardless of those benefits, industry headwinds have been a challenge for the firm -- especially considering that SEIC's profitability is effectively tied to its clients' assets under management. A volatile investment scene has meant rough revenue performance since 2008. The firm has been working to build its own asset management business in recent years, taking the onus off of clients' abilities to draw investors. While those fee-based revenues are welcome, the firm will need to be careful not to grow its own AUM at the expense of its bread-and-butter business. Earlier this month, management increased SEIC's semi-annual dividend by 25% to 15 cents.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV