This commentary originally appeared at 1:55 p.m. EST on Dec. 30 on Real Money Pro -- for access to all of legendary hedge fund manager Doug Kass's strategies and commentaries, click here.
Some of the possible improbables that I came up with while compiling my "15 Surprises for 2012" were not quite ready for prime time, but they can certainly serve as an addendum to that list.
Surprise No. 16: After it is disclosed that Bank of America (BAC) is being forced to raise an additional $20 billion to $25 billion of capital, Brian Moynihan resigns as President and CEO of Bank of America.
Surprise No. 17: Reflecting upward-trending stock markets around the world, continued improvement in domestic high-frequency economic statistics and a contained European debt crisis, the CBOE Volatility Index (VIX) falls to the 10-15 level during the second half of 2012.Surprise No. 18: Facebook's IPO fizzles. The new offering is priced at a $70 billion equity capitalization but opens flat and breaks issue price in the first day of trading. Surprise No. 19: A second-half growth scare briefly lifts the yield on the 10-year U.S. note to over 3%. Surprise No. 20: Similar to Hewlett-Packard's (HPQ) former CEO Mark Hurd, three very high-profile executives of Fortune 500 companies are forced to resign after sexual harassment allegations.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV