This commentary originally appeared at 1:55 p.m. EST on Dec. 30 on Real Money Pro -- for access to all of legendary hedge fund manager Doug Kass's strategies and commentaries, click here.
Some of the possible improbables that I came up with while compiling my " 15 Surprises for 2012" were not quite ready for prime time, but they can certainly serve as an addendum to that list.
Surprise No. 16: After it is disclosed that Bank of America (BAC) is being forced to raise an additional $20 billion to $25 billion of capital, Brian Moynihan resigns as President and CEO of Bank of America.
Surprise No. 17: Reflecting upward-trending stock markets around the world, continued improvement in domestic high-frequency economic statistics and a contained European debt crisis, the CBOE Volatility Index (VIX) falls to the 10-15 level during the second half of 2012.Surprise No. 18: Facebook's IPO fizzles. The new offering is priced at a $70 billion equity capitalization but opens flat and breaks issue price in the first day of trading. Surprise No. 19: A second-half growth scare briefly lifts the yield on the 10-year U.S. note to over 3%. Surprise No. 20: Similar to Hewlett-Packard's (HPQ) former CEO Mark Hurd, three very high-profile executives of Fortune 500 companies are forced to resign after sexual harassment allegations.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV