BALTIMORE ( Stockpickr) -- It's official: We've reached the last trading day of 2011. But as the band prepares to cue up "Auld Lang Syne" over the weekend, investors still have some unfinished business -- after all, just because the calendar is changing over doesn't mean that traders' portfolios are starting anew. And Mr. Market's flat performance for the last year has left a lot to be desired.
That's why it makes sense to look at some trends that could be taking shape in the first quarter of 2012. And believe it or not, one investible trend comes from New Year's resolution stocks. Each year, consumers spend substantial amounts of money on self-improvement when the calendar changes over; with a relatively concentrated number of firms courting that cash, the revenue potential is relegated to a few distinct niches.
>>Related: 7 Relative Strength Stocks for 2012
Today, we'll look at five companies that are turning New Year's resolutions into revenues in 2012.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV