NEW YORK (MainStreet) -- New Year's resolutions are just the first step on a long road to fulfillment. Why not drive there instead?
Carmakers may want to resolve themselves to keeping on track in 2012 after more than 10% vehicle sales growth through the first 11 months of the year. That's an improvement of 1.1 million vehicles from the same span in 2010, but not all of those vehicles will be able to help passengers reach their goals for the new year.
A Marist Poll released last week found that 38% of Americans plan to make a New Year's resolution this year. That jumps to 59% for Americans younger than 45 years old and 64% of those under 30. That's down from the 44% of Americans who made similar promises last year, but last year's results bode well for this year's crop. Of those who vowed to make changes after 2010, 67% stuck to their word.The themes of 2012 New Year's promises are as well-worn as treadmill belts in January or financial planners' floorboards in February. Nearly 40% of next year's resolutions involve losing weight, exercising more or getting healthier in general. Another 9% want to spend less money and save more. The same percentage wants to stop smoking, while 4% just want to be kinder to others or "enjoy life." For each of those resolutions, there's a car built to get folks to their goal. With a little help from experts at car-pricing sites Edmunds and Kelley Blue Book, we've put together a list of five vehicles ready to get your resolutions rolling:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV