NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Wildly addictive smartphone game Angry Birds is the most popular app of 2011, according to a recent poll. Nearly 30% of voters named the game, in which users use a virtual slingshot to launch birds at evil pigs, as their favorite.
Angry Birds has also been named the most popular paid app in Apple's App Store this year.
Zynga's Words With Friends came in a close second with 28% of the vote. The Scrabble-style game is so addictive that actor Alec Baldwin was reportedly booted off a flight for refusing to put away his phone while playing it.Trailing behind was Pandora's (P) online radio app with 24% of the vote. This holiday season was a major boon to smartphone developers. On Christmas Day, users downloaded a quarter of a billion apps, nearly double any other day in the history of iOS and Android devices. --Written by Olivia Oran in New York
>To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/Ozoran. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV