NEW YORK (TheStreet -- 2011 was a dismal year for IPOs.
Volume totaled 330 deals, down 30% from 2010, and the average return was a negative 10.3%, according to Renaissance Capital. Activity dried up at the end of summer as the Europe's sovereign debt crisis took hold.
One sector that was well-represented though was the Internet with 24 companies making their public debuts, the most in 10 years. While that number is definitely a huge drop from 1999's 212 offerings, it's still double the 11 deals launched in 2010.
Some of the biggest deals were net-related with Bankrate (RATE), Groupon (GRPN), Zynga (ZNGA) and LinkedIn (LNKD) raising $2.4 billion alone. The technology sector led on volume with 44 companies going public.Private equity-backed IPOs were prominent as well, raising more than $20 billion on just 35 deals. Even though the economy continued to struggle with unemployment, retailers and consumer stock offerings were some of the best performers in the aftermarket. Fashion house Michael Kors (KORS) got off to a great start as did specialty tea chain Teavana (TEA) and retailer Francescas (FRAN). Here are the top five IPOs of 2011.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV