Shares of D.R. Horton Inc. rose 45 cents, or 3.7 percent, to $12.65; Lennar Corp. added 77 cents, or 4.1 percent, to $19.75; PulteGroup Inc. gained 28 cents, or 4.8 percent, to $6.24; KB Home rose 20 cents, or 3.2 percent, to $6.54; Beazer Homes USA Inc. added 10 cents, or 4.4 percent, to $2.39; and, Toll Brothers Inc. gained 53 cents, or 2.7 percent, to $20.38.
Elsewhere among homebuilders, NVR Inc. rose $14.87, or 2.2 percent, to $681; Standard Pacific Corp. gained 12 cents, or 3.8 percent, to $3.16; Meritage Homes Corp. added 71 cents, or 3.2 percent, to $23.07; MDC Holdings Inc. rose 71 cents, or 4.2 percent, to $17.64; Ryland Group Inc. added 35 cents, or 2.3 percent, to $15.54; and M/I Homes Inc. gained 65 cents, or 6.8 percent, to $10.23.
Lenders such as Bank of America Corp., Huntington Bancshares Inc. and Wells Fargo & Co. also got a boost.
Shares of Bank of America rose 11 cents, or 2.1 percent, to $5.40; Huntington added 16 cents, or 2.8 percent, to $5.63; and, Wells Fargo gained 55 cents, or 2 percent, to $27.66.Meanwhile, home improvement and construction materials company Masco Corp.'s shares were up 54 cents, 5.5 percent, to $10.41. The Dow Jones industrial average gained about 108 points in afternoon trading, and broader indexes also increased.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV