Further adding credence to a potential bid is the lobby registration filing shows law firm Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz, which deals in mergers and acquisitions. The law firm is listed as an intermediary between Alibaba and the Duberstein group. The registration was received by the U.S. Senate on Dec. 23, but the filing notes the effective date as of Dec. 1. Alibaba may be realizing the value in owning all of Yahoo!'s properties, as opposed to just buying back its stake.
There have also been reports of private equity firm Silver Lake Partners looking to buy a minority stake in Yahoo!, but that appears to have been quashed for now.
Yahoo! shares were higher in Thursday trading, up 2.1% to $16.11.
Interested in more on Yahoo!? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV