Freddie Mac: Mortgage Rates to Stay Low in 2012
Right now, those rates are as low as they've ever been. The BankingMyWay Weekly Mortgage Rate tracker stands at 4.125% for fixed 30-year mortgages and 15-year mortgages are a bargain at 3.5%, with the five-year adjustable-rate mortgage at 3.01%.
|Freddie Mac is out with some predictions for 2012.|
Those rates are low enough, but the chief economist at Freddie Mac says that's right where they'll stay in 2012.
Frank Nothaft, writing in a Freddie Mac blog this week, says rates should continue scraping the bottom at least until the middle of next year.Nothaft's commentary also notes that the Federal Reserve policy on interest rates, which drives the mortgage rate market, should remain unchanged. "This should keep fixed rates for 15- through 30-year product relatively low during the first half of the year, with rates edging up during the second half," he says. "Further, the Federal Reserve's August announcement that it was likely to maintain its current federal funds target through mid-2013 ensures that initial-period interest rates for one-year and various hybrid adjustable-rate mortgages will remain extraordinarily low throughout 2012."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV